Friday, October 25, 2013

Simple Cornbread

After I posted the updated version of the White Bean Chicken Chili, I realized this delicious cornbread needed its own post too, instead of being a side-note in the old chili.  This is a recipe I make quite often, and my family goes gaga every time.  I found this recipe a few years ago and have never tried another cornbread recipe since - that definitely says something!  It is just simple and delicious!  We love it with butter, and/or honey, jam, whatever we're in the mood for.  It goes great with soup or chili and only dirties one bowl!  Now that's my kind of recipe.

I have been subbing in whole wheat flour for white flour all over the place lately, and this recipe is no exception.  I honestly could not even tell the difference.  FYI - I grind my own hard white wheat, and that's what I used in here.  All-purpose white flour also works great, and is what the original recipe calls for.

Cornbread

1/2 c. (1 cube) butter, melted
2/3 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 c. buttermilk
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. cornmeal
1 c. white or wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease an 8x8 baking dish and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter and sugar.  Add eggs and beat until well blended.  Add buttermilk and baking soda and stir until combined.  Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain.  Transfer to greased baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

Source: Adapted slightly from Martha Stewart

No comments: