Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Winter Salsa

I LOVE this time of year for many reasons - the cool crisp weather, the apples and pumpkins in abundance, the fall colors, etc.  However, I always find myself missing some of the great summer produce, namely tomatoes.  We eat so many delicious tomatoes in the summertime that nowhere near resemble the tomatoes you find in the stores year-round.  Salsa is one of those things we love to whip up with our summer tomatoes, but if you love homemade salsa all year long, don't fear!  This recipe uses canned tomatoes, and it is really delicious!  In fact, I make it a lot in the summer too, because it's so convenient, taking just a few minutes to whirl together, and it still has that fresh taste from the onions and cilantro.  Honestly, I couldn't believe how good it was the first time I made it and I have made it well over 10 times since.  Enjoy!


I have made this without the jalapeno before and it still has plenty of heat from the Rotel tomatoes (and I even use mild).  If you're trying this for the first time, you may want to start with no jalapeno and then taste it and see if you'd like more kick.

Salsa

1 28-oz. can whole tomatoes
2 10-oz. cans Rotel tomatoes (diced tomatoes & green chiles - mild or original)
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 large clove garlic, minced
0-1 jalapeno, quartered and sliced thin (depending on spice preference)
1/2 c. cilantro, chopped
juice of 1/2 lime
salt, to taste

Throw all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until desired consistency is reached, about 10 pulses.  You can do this in batches if it doesn't fit.  (If I don't feel like chopping anything myself I start with the garlic and jalapeno in the processor - get it minced, then add the onion and cilantro - get that roughly chopped, and then just add the tomatoes and pulse a few times).  Season with salt if desired.
Source: Adapted from Pioneer Woman

No comments: