Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Honey Wheat Rolls

It's that time of year where I want to bake...a lot.  I find myself making soup several times a week and wanting to make some sort of bread or roll to go with it!  These little gems are ones I've eaten a lot (made either by my mom or sister), but I hadn't made them myself until recently.  They are delicious!  The recipe makes a dozen, but you could easily double it.  I made two batches a couple weeks ago and stuck one back in the freezer for later.  They tasted great both times we had them.  The original recipe is for a breadmaker, but I made a couple little changes after a failed first attempt to adapt them, and they've worked great.  Enjoy!


Honey Wheat Rolls

1 c. warm water
1 T. yeast
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c. honey
3 c. whole wheat flour
1 egg

Combine yeast and warm water.  Set aside for 5 minutes, until yeast starts to froth and bubble.

In a large bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer, combine 2 1/2 c. flour, egg, honey, salt, and yeast/water mixture.  Mix well, adding remaining flour slowly as needed until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the bowl and forms a soft dough.  Knead for about 5 minutes.

Place dough in a slightly oiled bowl to rise.  Cover with a clean towel and let rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 hrs.

Form into 12 balls and place on a cookie sheet.  Cover and let rise again until doubled, about 45 min - 1 hr.  Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, until browned on the top.  Remove from baking sheet and serve warm.
Source: Adapted from my sister Amy

No comments: