Monday, October 21, 2013

Taco Soup (so easy!)

This is a recipe I've been making for a long time, but after a little tweaking, it's finally ready to make its appearance!  My sister gave me this recipe back when I was a single college student and I have made it many times since!  This taco soup is SO EASY, but it's also so tasty and it makes a great meal when you are low on time - or when you're just in the mood for a delicious soup!  I always use ground turkey, but ground beef works great too.  You just cook up the meat with some onions and garlic, and after that it's just dumping in cans and spices.  My husband and my kids LOVE this soup, so for me - that makes it a winner!


Taco Soup

1 lb. ground beef or turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
1 15-oz. can whole kernel corn
1 4-oz. can diced green chiles
1 15-oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
2-3 cups water, depending on thickness you like
2 T. (heaping) taco seasoning
salt and pepper
tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and sour cream, to serve

In a large pot, cook beef or turkey with onions and garlic until fully cooked, about 6-7 minutes, stirring regularly.  Season with salt and pepper.

Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, chiles, beans, water, and taco seasoning to the pot.  Stir until combined, adding more water if desired.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Top with tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and sour cream to serve.

Source: Adapted from my sister Amy

No comments: