Thursday, February 7, 2013

Potato Leek Soup

We have really been enjoying soups this winter.  It seemed like my kids weren't quite at the age to enjoy soup or to be able to eat it very well last year, but this year, we've been eating soup probably once a week, if not more.  There are few things I love more on a cold day than a big pot of soup!



I first tried this soup at my mother-in-law's house over Christmas.  They had made it before we got there, so we had some leftovers and thought it was really good.  I just made it myself this week and it was even better than I remembered!  And so simple and easy!  There are very few ingredients, but the taste is incredibly delicious.  I changed a few things, but not much.  It's very creamy without any cream, and it's soooo so satisfying.  I made these muffins to go along with it - because my husband likes me to find any excuse to make these as often as possible :) - and a big salad and it was the perfect wintry meal. I just the leftovers for lunch today and it was so good I had to get on here and post the recipe!

A note about leeks:  They are surprisingly very sandy and dirty, so make sure you wash them thoroughly before using.  I found the easiest way was this: chop of the dark green ends (you don't use that part) and the root, and then cut in half length-wise.  Chop/slice the leeks all up and then put them in a large bowl of cold water.  Swish them around a lot so the sand falls to the bottom and then let them sit for a few minutes to let any more dirt sink.  Have a colander handy and scoop the leeks into the colander to drain off the excess water.  That should do the trick!

Potato Leek Soup

1/4 c. butter
6 leeks, trimmed and chopped (see note above)
4 c. chicken stock (1 quart)
4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tsp. sea salt, or to taste
black pepper to taste

Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.  Add leeks, stir, and cook until soft, about 10-15 minutes.

Stir in chicken stock and potatoes and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.

Pour about half of the soup into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full.  Hold down the lid with a towel and pulse a few times and then leave it on long enough to puree.  Add the pureed half back into the pot with the rest of the soup.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.  There are so few ingredients, so make sure you get your seasonings right.  Potatoes need a lot of salt, so don't be afraid to keep adding it until it tastes great!

Source: Adapted from Allrecipes

No comments: