Friday, November 9, 2012

Green Enchilada Sauce

I was SO excited when I found this recipe!  I love this enchilada recipe, but I've hardly made it the last year because I hate buying the canned enchilada sauce.  It is full of nasty stuff and I can't find any that don't have hydrogenated oils and and a whole lot of other ingredients unnecessary for enchilada sauce.  I decided I just needed to make my own and discovered it was SO EASY.  This recipe is from the blog Our Best Bites and it made enough for 5 batches of enchiladas.  I wanted to find a can-able recipe, but I just poured it in pint jars and popped them in the freezer to use as I need them.  I made the enchiladas with the sauce the other day and it was amazing!  If you're trying to cut out processed foods and/or just want an awesome enchilada sauce recipe, this is the one!  And your body will feel great after eating it too.



A blender or food processor is a bit of a necessity for this recipe.  Makes about 7-8 cups.  I put about 1.5 cups in each jar and had 5 jars.  You could also spread this over burritos (Cafe Rio style, if you've ever been there), use it as a dip, or whatever your heart desires! She also says she adds 2-3 T. sugar for Cafe Rio style sauce, I left the sugar out so I didn't include it in the recipe.  

Green Enchilada Sauce

2-3 T. olive oil
1 large onion, minced
5-6 cloves garlic, minced
2 green bell peppers, chopped roughly (enough for blender to handle)
1-2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped (depending on your desired level of heat)
1.5 lbs. tomatillos, husked and quartered
1/2 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
1.5 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1.5 tsp. cumin
4 c. chicken broth

In a large saucepan or stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Saute onions and garlic until tender and fragrant.

Meanwhile, combine tomatillos, bell peppers, jalapeno(s), and cilantro in your blender or food processor.  Process until smooth.  Add some chicken broth as needed to break everything up.  You may have to do it in batches depending on the size of your machine.

Pour the tomatillo mixture over the onions and garlic in the pot and add chicken broth, salt, pepper, and cumin.  Simmer 15 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the consistency you want.  I turned mine to medium high and left it for about 20-25 minutes.  It can also be simmered all day in a crock pot/slow cooker.

Serve over tacos, burritos, as an enchilada sauce, or a dip for chips.
Source: Our Best Bites

No comments: