Friday, January 1, 2010

Honey Lime Enchiladas

Honey Lime EnchiladasOkay, this pictures does not do this justice, but these are seriously the best enchiladas I've ever had. Every time I make them, Jeremy acts like Bob on "What About Bob". "Mmmm, these are soooo good". Yes, they really are that good. Anyway, I found the recipe on The Sisters' Cafe blog. As usual I will put up the recipe and add my little notes in italics. You have to try these. They are so tasty!


Honey Lime Enchiladas

1.5 lbs. chicken or pork, cooked and shredded (I've only done chicken, but I'm sure pork would be great; I always cook about 3 chicken breasts in the crockpot for awhile and then it shreds really easily)1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup lime juice (about 2 limes)
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 10 oz. cans green enchilada sauce (I usually do half of a 28 oz. can and then freeze the other half; or do a 14 oz. can if you can find it)
Equal parts mozzarella & cheddar cheese, grated (I did monterey jack one time)
8-10 flour tortillas

After chicken/pork is cooked and shredded, combine with honey, lime juice, chili & garlic powder. Let "marinate" in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Grease a 9x13 pan and pour a little bit of the enchilada sauce to coat the bottom of the pan. Fill your tortillas with chicken mixture and a little cheese. Roll up and place seam side down in the pan. Repeat. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top and sprinkle more cheese on top (don't be stingy). Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and then turn on the broiler for a couple minutes so it gets nice and brown. Take out of the oven and DEVOUR!!!

Seriously, the flavor with the honey and lime is just so tasty! I also managed to find an enchilada sauce that was more natural (not loaded with all sorts of icky preservatives and stuff), but of course I threw out the can and can't remember the name of the brand. So next time I get it at the store I'll let you know. I like to avoid processed stuff if I can. I also like the tortillas at Costco that you cook yourself. They're nice and thin and delicious. Anyway, these are amazing! I hope you make them soon. :)
Originally posted 10/27/09

No comments: