Friday, October 12, 2012

Whole Wheat Waffles

I know, I said I'm back and then it's been forever.  It's been craziness in our house, but I really want to get some more recipes up here!  These are my new favorite breakfast item I've tried in the last several months.  They are 100% whole wheat, but they are surprisingly light and tasty and really easy to whip up in the morning.  We love our standard buttermilk waffles, but I feel a little better about us eating this for breakfast instead.  Of course, we also love our waffles smothered in peanut butter and maple syrup, an old family tradition from my side of the family. :)  Delicious!


Makes about 2 full Belgian-syle waffle sheets (8 waffles total); more with a smaller waffle iron

Cinnamon Wheat Waffles

1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 T. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 large egg
1 1/2 c. lukewarm milk
1/3 c. melted butter or vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat your waffle iron.  Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cinnamon.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, butter or oil, and vanilla.

Mix together the wet and dry ingredients until just combined.  The batter will be a bit lumpy, that's ok.

Cook the waffles as directed with your specific waffle iron.

Source: adapted from King Arthur Flour

No comments: