Monday, September 24, 2012

Mango Quinoa Salad

I was blown away by this dish.  I thought I would like it, and I knew it would be healthy, but the brightness of the flavors really took me by surprise and made me love it!  If you haven't heard too much about quinoa, it is a seed that acts like a grain but is really more related to beets and spinach.  Confused?  Yeah, me too. :)  Here's what you need to know about it - it is easy to prepare (similar to rice); it is a source of complete protein; it is gluten free; it is high in fiber, phosphorus, magnesium, and iron; and it is a source of calcium.  Pretty good, eh?



I've tried a few methods of using quinoa in the last few months and this is definitely my favorite.  This dish is so zingy with the mango, red pepper, and lime juice and it would make a great one-dish meal, or an accompaniment to something yummy on the grill...like shrimp! (Pictured below)  It's perfect for the summer, which I know is over, but it would be a great way to liven up a meal anytime of year.  Enjoy!
Mango Quinoa Salad

2 cups cooked quinoa, at room temperature or chilled
1 14 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 medium mango, peeled and diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1 handful chopped cilantro, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
4 T. red wine vinegar
3 T. extra-virgin olive oil
1-2 T. lime juice
salt and pepper

Place cooked quinoa in a large bowl.  Add mango, red pepper, green onions, and cilantro.  In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, and lime juice until smooth.  Pour over salad.  Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Chill for at least one hour prior to serving.

Source: Our Best Bites

2 comments:

Unknown said...

going to try it this week. Thanks!

Joyful Noise said...

This is a fantastic recipe. I have made it twice this week with Red Quinoa. Everyone wants the recipe. My friends that I have given your website address to think you should add a "pin it" button so they can add the recipes to their pinterest boards. They say you will get lots more traffic if your recipes get onto pinterest.