Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Banana Bread

I love banana bread, but I've never really had a go-to recipe. I found this one recently on the Joy of Baking website (which I love) and I decided to try it. I'm so glad I did! It's really tasty. I went ahead and toasted the nuts like it suggested (although it's totally optional since it takes a little extra time) and it gave it a really yummy extra flavor. I don't like my banana bread too cakey, and this one was just right. I hope you enjoy it!


Banana Bread

1 c. walnuts or pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped (optional)
1 3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. white sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 large ripe bananas, mashed well (1-1 1/2 cups)
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x5 loaf pan.

Place the nuts on a baking sheet and bake for about 7-10 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Let cool and then chop coarsely. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nuts. Set aside. In another bowl, combine the mashed bananas, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla.

Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined and the batter is lumpy. Do not overmix. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake until bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 55-60 minutes (check sooner to make sure it's not overdone). Place on a wire rack to cool and remove from pan.

Source: Joy of Baking

No comments: