Sunday, March 21, 2010

Turkey Meatloaf

I'm mad I didn't snap a photo of this straight out of the oven, but Food Network has one if you'd like to look. We had people over last night when we served this and we were rushing to get everything on, so I didn't manage to get a picture until today when we had it again as leftovers for dinner.


My lovely sister Wendy told me about this recipe awhile ago and I finally decided I needed to try it. Ground turkey was on sale and I was in the mood for something new. This was SO tasty! We'll definitely be making this again. I didn't really like meatloaf much as a kid (sorry Mom) but I've made it several times since I've been married and I've enjoyed it. However, it often tends to be dry, or greasy, or something. This recipe tops all others. It is moist, lean, flavorful, and filling. Did I mention we'd be making this again? And again? Even Eli loved it! (Okay, so he loves most things, but I was excited he devoured it). By the way, I cut the recipe in half because it makes a ginormous loaf (5 lbs. of turkey - yeah, I know). It worked beautifully, so feel free to do the same. However, if you need to feed a crowd, this would be a great way.

Turkey Meatloaf
3 cups chopped yellow onions
2 tablespoons good olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (1/2 teaspoon dried)
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup chicken stock (I used turkey)
1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
5 pounds ground turkey breast
1 1/2 cups plain dry bread crumbs
3 extra-large eggs, beaten (I used two when I cut it in half)
3/4 cup ketchup
In a medium saute pan, over medium-low heat, cook the onions, olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme until translucent, but not browned, approximately 15 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and tomato paste and mix well. Allow to cool to room temperature.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Combine the ground turkey, bread crumbs, eggs, and onion mixture in a large bowl. Mix well and shape into a rectangular loaf on an ungreased sheet pan. Spread the ketchup evenly on top. Bake for 1 1/2 hours until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F. and the meatloaf is cooked through. (A pan of hot water in the oven under the meatloaf will keep the top from cracking.) Serve hot, at room temperature, or cold in a sandwich.
Mine took a little over an hour to cook for a half of a loaf. Just check it often so it doesn't get overdone.
Oh, and serve with these potatoes.
Source: Wendy McNiven, originally from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

No comments: