Monday, March 29, 2010

BBQ Chicken Salad with Avocado Ranch Dressing

Mmm, another salad. This one has a great combination of flavors. BBQ chicken (well, shredded chicken mixed with BBQ sauce) and a tasty avocado ranch dressing with cilantro and lime juice. It's kind of southwestern-y too and I like it. :)


BBQ Chicken Salad

2 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 cup bbq sauce
1/2 head romaine lettuce
1/2 head iceberg lettuce
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 bunch green onions, chopped
4 roma tomatoes, diced
2 avocados, diced
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
shredded cheese, Mexican blend or cheddar
crispy tortilla strips*

Stir shredded chicken in with the bbq sauce until well coated. Toss all but last 2 ingredients together or let everyone pile their own salad together. Top with cheese and tortilla strips. Drizzle avocado ranch dressing (below) over the salad and enjoy!

Source: Sisters' Cafe

Avocado Ranch Dressing

1 ripe avocado
1/2 c. ranch dressing
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. sour cream
1/8 c. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. hot sauce
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
handful of cilantro

Blend all ingredients together in a food processor or blender. Chill until ready to serve.

Source:
Modified from myrecipes.com

*To make crispy tortilla strips:
Preheat oven to 420 degrees. Chop corn tortillas into thin strips and place in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned and crispy. Watch carefully and do not broil. You may start a fire! (Trust me, I know from experience). :)

4 comments:

Ken and Marlene Astle Family said...

I want to tell everyone that this is delicious! I ate this at Sarah's house last week and loved it! I just made it tonight because I was so inspired by Sarah! Sarah you are amazing and I love your food blog. I look forward to seeing what fun recipes you post! Thanks for another fun salad.

Cookie Sundays said...

That looks sooo good!

Ken and Marlene Astle Family said...

Ummmm this was so good! Thanks, Sarah! THis is Amy by the way- I am on Mom's computer.

Abby said...

This looks yummy! I can't remember if I've commented on your food blog yet. I've tried a few of the recipes and loved them. The country white bread for one. I really should stick to making my whole wheat bread, but oh it's so good to have white bread every once in awhile. I had this with butter and homemade strawberry freezer jam, warm out of the oven. SO GOOD.