Saturday, February 13, 2010

Stuffed Mushrooms


I love stuffed mushrooms. My in-laws got me hooked. They always do fun hor d'oevres around the holidays and this has been one of them. Usually they stuff them with cream cheese mixed with some herbs and green onions. I was planning doing just that until I was perusing through recipes online and came across several that used the stems in the stuffing. Hmmm. Sounded tasty and better than just throwing the stems away, so I decided to try it. I bought baby portabello mushrooms in a 24 oz. package at Costco, and there were 47 mushrooms in the package. I only used about 32 (that's all that would fit on my baking sheet), but I also have some leftover stuffing, which I plan on using today. I think you could use the same amount of stuffing for a smaller number of mushrooms, and just stuff them more.


Anyway, there are only a few ingredients, but they are really tasty. The smell of the mushrooms and garlic sauteing together was so deliciously fragrant and I had a hard time stopping myself from eating all the stuffing before they made it into the mushrooms! I think this would somehow make a delicious dip or cheese ball - I'll have to play around with that later. Also, I made the stuffing earlier in the day and then stuffed and baked the mushrooms right before the party.

Okay, so here's the recipe finally. I got inspiration from several recipes online, but ultimately did my own thing, so this one's mine. :)

Stuffed Mushrooms

24 oz. button mushrooms
3 cloves garlic
8 oz. cream cheese
2 green onions, chopped fine
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

Clean mushrooms (either with a damp towel or lightly with water). Carefully remove stems from mushrooms. Set aside caps. Combine stems and garlic in a food processor until fine. (Or chop really fine). Saute in a little oil for about 5 minutes, until there is no liquid in the pan. Take off the heat and combine with the rest of the ingredients.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place caps on the sheet (they can be fairly close together).

Put stuffing into a ziploc bag and cut a small hole in the corner. Squeeze filling into each mushroom. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-17 minutes, or until the top is slightly browned and the mushrooms are soft and squishy. There will be some liquid that forms beneath the mushrooms, don't be alarmed. This is why you lined it with parchment paper - otherwise you'd have a yucky mess to clean up right when your guests are arriving! :)

These would look pretty garnished with a little green.

No comments: