Monday, February 22, 2010

Apple Walnut Feta Salad

So this recipe stemmed from a need to bring a salad to a church event and having to think of something with what I had on hand. Luckily I had some pretty good stuff on hand. :) Of course you can substitute things with what you have on hand. For the dressing I was just doing a basic oil/vinegar dressing and then I thought it would be fun to juice a mandarin orange to give it a little extra flavor and I really liked it, so I include that. Of course, you could dress it without that, but if you have one around, give it a try.

Apple Walnut Feta Salad

Salad
1/2 - 1 head romaine lettuce
about 1/4 cup red onion
1 cup candied walnuts, crumbled into pieces*
1 Granny Smith apple, chopped
1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 celery stalk, chopped

Dressing
olive oil & red wine vinegar - 2:1 ratio (couple Tbsp.)
juice of 1 mandarin orange, optional

Combine salad ingredients. Juice mandarin over the salad. Whisk together oil and vinegar and add to taste.

*To candy the nuts, put 2-3 T. sugar and nuts in a skillet over medium heat. Stir constantly until sugar melts and coats the nuts. Spread onto wax paper, separate, and let cool. Break up after cooled. I usually end up eating quite a few, so it's probably more like 2/3 cup that I put into that salad. Hehe. :)

No comments: