Monday, November 4, 2013

Baked Sweet Potato Fries

Are you a sweet potato lover?  I used to think I didn't like sweet potatoes, but they have really grown on me over the last few years.  I think I just wasn't used to them, since I never ate them as a kid.  I have come around though.  These are delicious!  I love their vibrant color and their abundance in the stores and markets this time of year.  They have a naturally sweet flavor and roast up pretty quickly in the oven.  We stuck to the basics with this recipe - olive oil, salt, and pepper, but I've seen some that use all sorts of spices from cinnamon to cumin.  Don't expect a crisp crunchy exterior like you get with white potato fries.  These are definitely softer, but the taste they get as they start to caramelize on the pan is delicious!  Enjoy!


Do your best slicing them in uniformly.  I find this hard to do with oddly shaped sweet potatoes, but as long as they're all roughly the same size, they should be great!

Baked Sweet Potato Fries

4-5 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4" thick sticks
olive oil, for tossing
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, or grease it well with olive oil.  In a large bowl, toss sweet potatoes with olive oil, just enough to coat.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Spread in a single layer on the baking sheet.  Make sure they aren't over crowded - you can do them in 2 batches if you need to (they shouldn't be touching).  Bake for 10 minutes, remove and flip over, then return to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes, until tender and beginning to brown.  Let cool slightly before serving.  Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.

Source: Paula Deen

No comments: