Monday, April 16, 2012

Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake

I've really fallen in love with this simple dinner.  It's essentially a casserole, but somehow "bake" sounds cooler, I guess. :)  I found this via Pinterest and it was a winner!  I've made it several times now and sometimes add some extra things to it.  It's one my kids love and will eat a lot of which really makes it a win in my house.  Brown rice, black beans, corn, chicken, etc.  It's delicious!  It can easily be made ahead of time, which is another reason why I love it.  If you have some chicken already cooked that makes it a lot easier too.



A few notes - this can easily be doubled and baked in a 9x13 pan, as shown above.  The recipe calls for 4 cups brown rice, but one time I accidentally only made 3 cups and I think I preferred it that way - it was a little saucier.  I also added olives a couple times, and liked it that way too.  I prefer lots of cilantro for flavor, and make sure you salt and pepper liberally.  The tastier the salsa, the better too.  That's all! :)

Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake

2 cups shredded chicken
3-4 cups cooked brown rice
3/4 c. frozen corn
15 oz. black beans, rinsed and drained
1 c. plain Greek Yogurt (or sour cream)
4 oz. can diced green chiles
1/2 c. salsa
1 c. cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
1/4 c. chopped cilantro, plus more for topping
1 small can chopped olives, optional
salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except for those reserved for topping.  Mix thoroughly to combine everything evenly.  Season to taste with salt and pepper (plenty of salt for my tastes).  Transfer to an oven safe dish (around an 8x8 size) and top with extra cheese if you like.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted and beginning to brown.  Top with additional cilantro.

Source:  Adapted from Tasty Kitchen, via Pinterest

No comments: