Tuesday, March 8, 2011

French Bread Rolls

I have been seriously missing in action lately, but I have lots of good reasons. We're selling our house, I'm having a baby in 2 weeks, my grandfather passed away, and life is just all around busy. But I'm still cooking! I haven't been making too many exciting things, but just the other day I thought that I wanted to make some yummy things in the next few weeks before the baby comes while I still have some time on my hands!


So that's where these little gems come in. I just took these out of the oven minutes ago and they are delish! I couldn't wait for them to cool - I had to try one. We are having these for dinner tonight along with some pulled pork that has been simmering in the crockpot all day (I'll share that recipe too), some coleslaw, and baked oven fries. Yum! I'm excited for dinner...only 2 more hours to go!

French Bread Rolls

Makes 1 dozen rolls

1 1/2 c. warm water
3/4 T. instant yeast
2 T. white sugar
2 T. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
4 cups flour (roughly)

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine water, yeast, sugar, oil, salt and 2 cups flour. Begin mixing and gradually add the rest of the flour until a soft dough forms (you may need more or less - just watch it so you don't add too much; when it clears the sides of the bowl, you have enough).

Knead for about 5 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Lightly spray a large bowl with cooking spray and place dough in the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or a clean dish towel and let rise until doubled - about an hour.

Lightly deflate dough and divide into 12 equal pieces. Form into round balls and place on a cookie sheet about an inch or two apart. Let rise until doubled - about 45 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake rolls for 12-15 minutes, until browned and done.

No comments: