Thursday, April 22, 2010

Basic Whole Wheat Bread

This is simple, basic, delicious, hearty whole wheat bread. I got this recipe from my mom and I've made it a lot. Sometimes I do part wheat, part white flour depending on what I'm in the mood for. Any way you make it, it's delicious. (Usually I do all wheat, but the last time I made it, I did half and half just to switch it up and it was great!) Enjoy!


Don't worry about measuring your flour. Just add enough so it clears the sides of the bowl. It may be 8 cups, or it may be 13 cups. The dough will be slightly sticky.

Whole Wheat Bread

5 c. hot water
2/3 c. vegetable oil
2/3 c. honey
4 tsp. salt
2 T. yeast
10-12 c. whole wheat flour (about; see note above)

Combine hot water, oil, honey, and salt in mixer bowl. Add 6 c. whole wheat flour and blend thoroughly. Add yeast and blend again. Add rest of flour 1 c. at a time and knead for a total of 10 minutes in mixer. (When dough clears the sides of the bowl (cleans your bowl), you've added enough flour. Don't add anymore!)

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Grease 3 bread pans (9x5 in.). Rub oil in on your hands and remove dough 1/3 at a time. Form in hands until the top is smooth, then place in the bread pans. Turn off oven and place the loaves in the warmed oven for 20 minutes to rise. After 20 minutes, turn oven to 350 degrees and bake for 45 minutes (leave the bread in the oven the whole time). Remove from pans, brush with butter, and let cool.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I just made this! It was so easy and turned out great. Thanks for the awesome recipe!